We are seeking outstanding PhD candidates with interest and experience in probabilistic combinatorics, in particular in random graphs.
The successful PhD candidates will pursue their PhD degrees within
Project 15 'Random graphs on a surface'
of the Doctoral Program 'Discrete Mathematics', under the supervision of Univ.-Prof. Mihyun Kang as a member of the Combinatorics Group (https://www.math.tugraz.at/comb/) at the Graz University of Technology, Austria.
For the description of possible PhD topics see here.
Qualifications and condition of employment:
- Strong track record of mathematical studies
- Master's degree in mathematics or theoretical computer science is required to be employed, but does not necessarily have to be awarded at the time of application
Length and salary:
- PhD position is for up to 4 years
- There is additional funding for extended research stays abroad and attendance of conferences
- a cover letter of application, describing your scientific interests and your preferred research topics (possibly in connection with probabilistic combinatorics, in particular with random graphs) as well as your earliest possible starting date
- curriculum vitae (academic CV)
- a short description of your qualifications and experience (i.e. list or transcript of courses, Diploma or Master thesis)
Please merge your application documents into a single pdf-file. The application consisting of a single pdf-file should be submitted by e-mail to
Please mention in the application e-mail and in the cover letter that you are applying for Project 15 'Random graphs on a surface' of the Doctoral Program 'Discrete Mathematics'.
One to three confidential reference letters (one by their master thesis advisor) should directly be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: 20 February 2019
selected candidates will be invited to interview, starting in early spring 2019.
Further Information on Doctoral Program 'Discrete Mathematics':